Cannellini beans and Swiss chard combine in this healthy and simple white bean soup recipe. It's low-fat, vegetarian and vegan, and the Swiss chard makes it very nourishing.
Don't throw out those Swiss chard stems! Add them to the pot whenever you next make a soup or vegetable broth.
This soup is both vegetarian and vegan. Need this recipe to be gluten-free, too? Just omit the optional pasta or orzo, and be sure your vegetable broth is gluten-free.
See also: More vegetable soup recipes
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped small
- 2 ribs celery, diced cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (optional)
- 1/3 cup macaroni, small shells, or orzo pasta (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, sautee the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add beans, vegetable broth, Swiss chard, corn, macaroni pasta and Italian seasoning to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a medium simmer. Heat for 8-10 minutes, until macaroni and chard are both cooked.
Enjoy your white bean and chard soup!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||24 g|