False Caper Warning - Poisonous
If you are planning to preserve capers from your own garden, first be absolutely certain it is a true caper plant. Euphorbia lathyris, common name caper spurge, is a poisonous plant with buds that are often confused as capers.
Ingestion of caper spurge buds can cause burning of the mouth, nausea, paleness, irregular pulse, dizziness, delirium and fainting. Contact your local Cooperative Extension Service for assistance in identifying your plant.
If you do have a true caper plant, make homemade capers using this recipe as a guideline. Harvest flower buds before they begin to show any color prior to opening. If you want salt-free capers, pickle them in your choice of .
Capers Cooking Tips
• Because of the brining used to preserve capers, it is generally recommended that you rinse capers of excess salt and/or brine before using in your recipe. Gently blot dry with a paper towel.
• Those on sodium-restricted diets should avoid capers.
• Capers packed in brine should be kept submerged in their liquid in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator and use within 9 months.
• Capers packed in salt may be kept at room temperature up to 6 months, but must also be kept airtight.
• You may wish to chop larger capers before adding to your dish.
• For best flavor, add capers at the end of the cooking process.
• Capers are exceptional with seafood and pasta.
They also go well with salads, sauces, stews, vegetables (especially tomatoes), pizza, eggs, poultry and meat.
• Some of the most popular uses of capers include tapenade, scalloppine, and remoulade sauce.
• Brined or pickled nasturtium seeds can be substituted for capers measure for measure if need be, but understand that they will have a more mustardy flavor.
• Anchovy Spread
• Asparagus Potato Salad
• Basic Remoulade Dressing
• Braised Lamb Shanks with Sour Cream and Capers
• Brill Steak with Lemon, Anchovies, Capers and Rosemary
• Caper Butter
• Cheesy Meatballs with Caper Sauce
• Chicken Breasts with Capers
• Chicken Breast with Quick Pan Sauce
• Chicken Breast with Warm Caper Sauce
• Chicken Deviled Eggs
• Chicken Piccata (Easy)
• Crab and Asparagus Salad
• Egg Salad with Capers and Olives
• Eggplant Caponata with Chives
• Figs Stuffed with Tapenade
• Filet Mignon with Mustard Caper Sauce
• Fruit Cornish Hens
• Herbed Oxtail Terrine
• Lemon-Caper Sauce
• Lobster Spread
• Lush Tomato Salad
• Macaroni Grill Chicken Scaloppine
• Mako Shark with Anchovy Caper Sauce
• Mashed Potato Cakes with Olives and Capers
• Mediterranean Feta Cheese Dip
• Olive Paste
• Olive Tapenade
• Orange Chicken Risotto
• Parmesan-Crusted Chicken with Capers
• Pasta with Capers, Olives and Pine Nuts
• Pasta Nicoise Salad
• Poor Man's Capers
• Puerto Rican Beef Plantain Omelette
• Remoulade Dressing
• Ricotta-Stuffed Grape Leaves with Caponata
• Roasted Half Moon Bay Anchovies
• Salmon Bread Pudding
• Salmon Stuffed Eggs with Herb Dressing
• Sausage Puffballs
• Scallops with Capers
• Shrimp Stuffed Edam Cheese
• Smoked Turkey Bites
• Spinach, Red Cabbage Mango Salad
• Sweet Peppers with Tomato Anchovy Sauce
• Tilapia with Lime Caper Sauce
• Tuna Chops with Lemon Cream Sauce
• Turkey Scalloppini with Capers and Lemon
• Turkey with Tuna Sauce
• Veal Chops with Anchovy and Caper Sauce