This recipe for Caramel Cake Frosted with Whipped Cream is a great dessert to take to a party - just don't be surprised if there isn't a bite left!
The caramel filling is sweet on its own so you may want a low sugar whipped cream. And if you want to make the layers ahead, go for it. Just leave the cakes in their pans and cover with plastic wrap.
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- For the Caramel Filling:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar (more or less)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease bottom of 3-9 inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper circles. Grease and flour parchment paper and rest of pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda ,and salt. Stir with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Completely mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk. Divide batter between pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tested done with a cake tester. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- The Filling: In a medium pan, melt the butter. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar and the milk. Heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- The Whipped Cream: Whip the cream with the sugar.
- Putting it all Together: Place on cake layer on a serving plate. Spoon 1/3 of filling onto cake layer. Spread it around evenly and even allowing it to go down the sides. Add the next layer. Spoon 1/2 remaining filling on top. Spread as before. Add the last layer on top. Scrape remaining filling onto top of cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||26 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|