This recipe for caramel Chex Mix features cereal, nuts, and pretzels covered with a sweet and crunchy baked caramel coating. It makes the perfect afternoon snack or a great mid-day pick me up to pack for the kid's lunch.
- 3.5 cups Corn Chex cereal (or Rice Chex cereal or similar cereal)
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup pretzel rods
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup
- brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the cereal, nuts, and pretzels into a 9x13 pan. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar melts, and continue to cook, stirring until the butter is melted and the candy begins to boil.
- Stir in the condensed milk, and insert a candy thermometer. Continue to cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the candy reaches 238 degrees. Remove it from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the caramel over the cereal mixture, stirring it so that the pieces are evenly coated.
- Return the candy to the oven, and bake it for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. It is done when the caramel mixture darkens and bubbles all over the pan.
- Remove the candy from the oven and scrape it onto a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
Allow it cool completely at room temperature before breaking it into pieces by hand. Store Caramel Chex mix in an airtight container or bag in a cool, dry place.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|