A sweetened meringue is the perfect finishing touch for this delicious caramel pie. The pie is baked in a baked pie shell, either the homemade food processor crust included in the recipe, or use a frozen or refrigerated pastry crust.
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (chilled, cut in small pieces)
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water (ice cold)
- For the Caramel Filling:
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Meringue:
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Crust: Combine the 1 1/4 cups of flour, the granulated sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to blend thoroughly.
- Scatter about half of the chilled butter pieces over the flour mixture. Pulse about 6 times. Add the remaining chilled butter pieces and pulse about 7 times. You should have a coarse mixture with some of the butter the size of peas.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture and pulse twice. Add more ice water, a few teaspoons at a time, pulsing a few times after each addition. When the dough just begins clumping, remove it to a floured surface.
- Lightly knead the dough just enough to shape it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough out to a circle about 12 inches in diameter, keeping the surface and the dough lightly floured to keep it from sticking. Fit the dough into the pie plate and flute the edges as desired. Refrigerate the crust until you are ready to bake.
- To prebake the crust, heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/Gas 4). Line the bottom and sides of the pastry with parchment paper or foil. Fill the pie about 2/3 to 3/4 full with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and remove the pie weights and foil or paper. Prick the crust all over with a fork and return it to the oven to bake for about 10 minutes, or until the pastry is nicely browned.
- Cool completely on a rack and then fill with the caramel filling (below).
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C/Gas 6).
- Filling: Put about 1 1/2 inches of water in the bottom pan of a double boiler and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks; add milk and stir until well blended.
- In the top pan of the double boiler, combine the flour and brown sugar; mix well. Add the 2 tablespoons of butter and the vanilla, along with the egg and milk mixture. Place the pan over the bottom pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Meringue: Prepare meringue. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add 1/3 cup of confectioners' sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over the hot filling, spreading right to the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or nicely until the meringue is golden brown.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|