Caramelized onions with lemon, or Karamellisierten Zwiebeln mit Zitrone in German, makes a great condiment for a roast, on top of scrambled eggs, or over toast. The difference from standard caramelized onions is the addition of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar in this recipe.
This delicious and slightly sweet treat, can be made on a slow day and refrigerated for up to a week to be used in any dish you like. They take a while to prepare because they are cooked low and slow, but are low maintenance, requiring a stir every now and then, and easy to make.
The best onion to use for this project is the basic yellow onion usually found in the grocery store. White onions will also work. Sweet onions (like Maui onions, Walla Wallas, or Vidalias) would seem like a good option but are best for short cooking times or raw eating. Red onions can be caramelized and have an interesting color, but the yellow onion is king.
Make caramelized onions in advance and eat them cold or re-warmed with many dishes. Try caramelized onions as a side to pork roast or on top of toast with Gruyère melted on top. Or use caramelized onions on top of burgers, bratwurst, mashed vegetables, steaks or in soup, gratins, or onion pies.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups onion (vertically sliced, 2-3 onions)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (your choice, agave nectar, sugar, honey)
- 1 teaspoon zest (lemon)
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a frying pan, add 4 cups sliced onions and sauté for a few minutes, then cover the pan, turn down the heat and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Remove lid, add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook until the onions are done to your liking.
- Add the 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice (agave nectar, sugar, honey) and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
- Serve warm or cold. Can be refrigerated for one week.
More German Recipes Using Caramelized Onions
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|