These easy Caribbean-style rice and beans are made with seasoned black beans with red and green bell peppers. Canned black beans make it a fast and very easy preparation.
If you need a fast and easy meat-free meal, this is an excellent choice. The black beans are cooked with chopped vegetables and a variety of seasonings. Lots of garlic, some ground cumin, oregano, and a dash of Tabasco sauce give the beans flavor. Mixed with the rice, the combination makes a satisfying dinner. If you use vegetable broth (or water) in the recipe, you'll have a vegetarian meal.
Add a simple tossed salad to make an appealing, complete meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cans black beans (15 to 16 ounces each; rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 4 dashes Tabasco
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth or water)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 cups white rice (cooked)
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Optional: sliced green onions for garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Cook the chopped onion with the red and green bell peppers, stirring constantly, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add black beans, vinegar, Tabasco, and 1/2 cup of broth or water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Check and add more water or broth, if necessary to keep the beans moist.
- Stir in cooked rice, cumin, and oregano; heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with additional Tabasco sauce.
- Garnish the beans and rice with chopped fresh cilantro or sliced green onions.
- Alternatively, the beans may be served over the hot cooked rice if you prefer to keep them separate.
- For an even faster preparation, microwave 2 packages of "ready rice" as directed on the packages. Add to the bean mixture and stir to blend ingredients.
- Replace the white or cider vinegar with red wine vinegar.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||32 g|