Street food in Mexico gets lumped under the name antojitos, which translates as "little cravings." Street carts, food trucks, and market vendors sell these little tastes of the country's rich cuisine at all hours of the day and night. Tacos come in a nearly unimaginable variety, usually in little three- or four-bite corn tortillas.
Carne asada refers to grilled beef, but in Mexico, marinated versions of it form the basis of many favorite street foods. These carne asada tacos can be served as an appetizer or part of the main meal.
- 1 (2-pound) skirt steak (or flank steak, trimmed of membranes and excess fat)
- 1/2 cup red chile sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 20 small white corn tortillas
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 cup salsa (or chile sauce)
- Optional: 10 squares of foil
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the beef dry with paper towels and put it in a large glass dish.
Whisk together the chile sauce, cumin, garlic, salt and lime juice. Pour it over the beef and use a brush or your fingers to coat the meat entirely. Marinate the meat at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Cook the beef over medium heat on the grill to medium or your preferred temperature. Set the carne asada aside.
Steam the corn tortillas by wrapping them in a damp towel and heating them in a 250 F oven for 15 minutes, or in batches of five tortillas in a microwave for two minutes.
While the tortillas warm, cut the skirt steak against the grain into approximately 1/2-inch-thick strips. Stack two tortillas one on top of the other in a square of foil or on a plate and top with three or four strips of meat, and chopped onions, cilantro, and chile sauce or salsa, to taste.
Enjoy the tacos immediately, or wrap them in the foil and eat them within 20 minutes.
- If your steak has a few light brown spots on it, like in the photo, that is as a result of oxidization - oxygen hitting the steak and impacting the color change. As long as the steak is red on the inside and it doesn't smell off, you should be good to go!