It's ice cream that tastes like carrot cake, only better! We use all the ingredients of traditional carrot cake - cream cheese, cinnamon, brown sugar, carrots, golden raisins, walnut, and rums (you can leave out the walnuts and rum if you like) - and mix it into a creamy, luscious vanilla ice cream.
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 cups milk (whole)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar (white)
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups carrot (grated)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Optional: 1 cup toasted walnuts (broken into small pieces)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon dark rum
- In a large pot, heat the milk and cream to a simmer. In a large bowl, add the egg yolks and white sugar. Beat with a whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes a pale yellow.
- Slowly, while whisking vigorously, add a little (1/2 cup) of the hot milk and cream to the sugared eggs. Continue to add the hot milk and cream until all of it has been combined with the sugared eggs. Don't add the hot liquid too fast or the eggs will cook and lumps will form in the mixture.
- Add the milk and eggs mixture back to the original pot and place over low heat. Heat the mixture while constantly stirring with a rubber spatula. Do not let the mixture boil or it will curdle. The mixture will slowly begin to thicken. When it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon it's done (about 7 to 10 minutes). Immediately remove heat and cool the mixture as fast as possible, preferably in an ice bath [Fill a large container or your kitchen sink with some ice and cold water. Transfer the ice cream mixture to another container (preferably stainless steel) and immerse it in the ice bath. Stir the mixture to cool it even faster.]
- When the mixture has cooled to room temperature or below, stir in the vanilla and cinnamon. Add the cream cheese and beat with a hand mixer until well combined. It's okay if there are a few small chunks of cream cheese. Cover the container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- While the cream mixture is cooling, combine the brown sugar and butter in small pot over medium heat. When the sugar and butter are melted, stir in the carrots and raisins. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Fold this mixture into the cream mix with a rubber spatula.
- When everything is sufficiently cold, give the mix a good stir to distribute all the bits evenly and add to an ice cream maker. Stir in the rum and walnuts, if using.
- Churn the mix according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Place in freezer for an additional 2 hours or longer before serving.
- Serve alone or with a bit of caramel sauce. Enjoy!
More Delicious Ice Cream Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||54 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|