|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
These carrot cookies are made with mashed carrots. They're finished with a delicious and easy orange icing. If possible, use fresh orange juice for the icing.
These are easy drop cookies.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup carrots (cooked and mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- For the Orange Icing
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice (Juice of 1/2 orange)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (zest of 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
Beat shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
Add egg, carrots and vanilla to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into carrot mixture and mix well.
Stir in chopped nuts, if using.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350° F (177° Celsius/Gas 4) for about 20 minutes.
Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
Meanwhile, make the icing.
Combine juice and orange rind with butter; stir in sifted confectioners' sugar until desired spreading consistency is reached.
Add more juice or confectioners' sugar as needed.
Need metric equivalents?
You Might Also Like