|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 36 to 48|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
- For the Cookie
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup carrots (cooked and mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- For the Orange Icing
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice (or 1/2 orange, juiced)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (or 1 orange, zested)
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar (sifted)
Gather the ingredients and preheat the oven to 350 F/177° Celsius/Gas 4.
Beat the shortening, gradually adding sugar and combine until light and fluffy.
Add the egg, carrots, and vanilla to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into carrot mixture and mix well.
Stir in chopped nuts, if using.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
Bake for about 20 minutes.
Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
Meanwhile, make the icing.
Combine juice and zest with the butter.
Stir in the confectioners' sugar until desired spreading consistency is reached.
Add more juice or sugar as needed.
Once cookies are cool, spread icing on top.
Serve and enjoy!