|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This carrot dish is easy to prepare and cook with the addition of onions, herbs, and a splash of fresh orange juice. The fresh herbs add color and flavor to the carrots along with the orange juice. One person wrote that she successfully replaced the orange juice with orange marmalade.
The carrots make a nice side dish for Sunday dinner or a special holiday meal. Add toasted sliced or slivered almonds or shredded or grated Parmesan cheese to the carrots just before serving.
- 2 pounds carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions or shallots
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 large orange, cut into 8 wedges
Wash, peel, and trim the carrots and then cut them in half crosswise. Halve the carrots lengthwise if they are quite large.
Heat the olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the carrots in the pan in single layer. Sprinkle with chopped onion, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn the carrots and continue cooking for about 15 minutes longer, or until fork-tender. The liquid should have cooked off and the carrots should be showing some caramelization at the end of the cooking time.
Sprinkle the carrots with the fresh herbs. Squeeze two of the orange wedges over the carrots.
Toss to coat thoroughly and serve with remaining orange wedges.
- There are many complementary herbs that may be substituted or used along with the thyme and rosemary. Some possibilities include chives, parsley, chervil, and mint.
- Garnish with pine nuts or toasted slivered or sliced almonds.