These drop cookies are easy to prepare, and the browned butter icing makes them extra special.
- For the Cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cashews (coarsely chopped salted)
- For the Icing:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk (or cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease. Heat the oven to 400° F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Sift together the dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture, alternating with sour cream, until well blended. Stir in the cashews.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove cookies immediately to a wire rack to cool.
Browned Butter Icing
- In a saucepan heat 4 tablespoons butter until lightly browned. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk or cream, and vanilla. If necessary add more confectioners' sugar or milk to get a good spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies.