This recipe for Catalan Beef Stew or "Estofado de Ternera a la Catalana" is easy and has a unique flavor, due to a surprise ingredient - chocolate! While the stew simmers, prepare a pot of white rice to accompany it.
- 1/4 cup Spanish olive oil
- 2 lbs. stew beef, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 8 oz. glass red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into halves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 oz. baking chocolate (unsweetened)
- Pinch of cinnamon - about 1/4 tsp.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
This recipe can be made in either a large stock pot or a pressure cooker. If using a pressure cooker, cooking time will be reduced to about 30 minutes.
- Chop the garlic, onions, tomatoes, carrot, celery, and leak.
- Pour the olive oil into a large pot with a heavy bottom, or the pressure cooker.
- Heat the oil and add the cubed stew meat. Brown the meat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir. Add the wine and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, onions, tomatoes, carrot, celery and leak to the pot and stir ingredients.
- Cut the square of baking chocolate in half and add to the pot.
- Add beef stock to the pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- If you are using a standard pot, partially cover and lower to a simmer. Then allow to simmer for an hour to an hour and a half - or until the meat is tender.
- If you are using a pressure cooker, put on lid and lock. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow pressure to drop naturally. This may take 10 minutes. Remove lid and simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes to thicken the stock.
Serve with French-style bread on a bed of white rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|