As the name implies, this is a regional dish from Cataluna. It is a very simple, classic Catalan recipe for steamed spinach. Fresh bunches of steamed spinach are briefly sauteed in olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, and raisins. It is a delicious and elegant side dish to serve with dinner.
- 2 bunches spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons dried currants (or raisins)
- 4 tablespoons Spanish virgin olive oil (or as needed for sautéing)
- Optional: 4 pieces bread (stale white bread)
- Wash the spinach thoroughly under cold running water to remove all sand and debris.
- Trim off the stems.
- Steam the spinach for only 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately and allow to drain thoroughly.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan.
- Heat pan on medium and sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the currants and pine nuts to the pan and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the drained spinach to the pan and mix well, coating with oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Lightly toast the slices of bread, cut in quarters and serve on the side of the plate.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|