|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||17%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A sweetened creamy mayonnaise dressing gives this easy salad loads of flavor. Sweet red bell peppers and red onions add a festive, colorful touch to the salad. The salad makes enough for 8 to 10 people, but it can easily be scaled down for 2 to 4 people (or up for big groups!).
It's a fresh, delicious salad as is, but feel free to add some bacon, raisins, or lightly toasted chopped walnuts or pecans for the extra crunch and flavor. Sunflower seeds are also an excellent choice. Crispy bacon pieces add a smoky flavor. You can make the salad with all broccoli or all cauliflower as well.
Serve the salad with a special family Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner or add it to your menu for an everyday meal.
See the tips and variations (below) for some additional ideas and ingredient suggestions, along with a version of a less sweet dressing mixture.
- For the Salad:
- 1 medium head cauliflower (separated into small florets)
- 1 bunch broccoli (separated into florets or about 1 pound broccoli crowns)
- 1 red or green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (such as canola or grapeseed oil)
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Optional: several large lettuce leaves
Gather the ingredients.
In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower and broccoli florets. Add the bell pepper and chopped onion; toss to blend the ingredients.
In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vegetable oil, vinegar, and granulated sugar.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat the vegetables thoroughly.
Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
Arrange the salad in a serving bowl lined with lettuce leaves, if desired.
- Cook 4 to 6 slices of bacon. Drain, crumble, and add the bacon to the salad before tossing with the dressing.
- Add 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds (hulled), pine nuts, chopped pecans, or walnuts before adding the dressing, or use a smaller amount as a garnish.
- Add about 1/2 cup of raisins to the salad before tossing with the dressing.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded or julienned carrots to the cauliflower and broccoli.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped celery to the salad.
- Omit the cauliflower and make the salad with two bunches of broccoli.
- For an alternative, less sweet dressing, combine 1 cup of sour cream with 1 cup of mayonnaise and a packet (1 ounce) of dry Ranch dressing mix.