|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 37g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||104%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Green onions and red bell pepper make this a festive choice for any holiday meal or family dinner.
Use your food processor to make bread crumbs with day-old bread. Keep a bag in the freezer for whenever you need them. Use bread crumbs for meatloaf, meatballs, and casserole toppings.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (separated into small flowerets)
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Heat oven to 350 F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
Steam the cauliflower until just tender - about 7 minutes. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just tender - about 2 minutes.
Add the green onion and chopped parsley and continue cooking for about 2 minutes longer.
Add the flour and stir until blended. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring until thickened.
Add 1 cup of the cheese and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted.
Combine with the cauliflower.
Spoon into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs until crumbs are thoroughly coated.
Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is nicely browned.
Serve and enjoy!
- For subtle garlic flavor, rub the baking dish with the cut side of a halved clove or garlic.
- Add a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese or some extra shredded cheddar cheese to the topping crumbs.
More Cauliflower Recipes:
Cauliflower Casserole With Parmesan Cheese
Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
Cauliflower and Cheese Bake