The essential nuttiness of cauliflower is used to great effect with these easy Cauliflower Fritters. They make a fun appetizer or side dish, although you can also make a light dinner of them with some crusty bread and a big seasonal salad.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Trim and cut the cauliflower into small florets. Don't toss out the core or heart and the stems! Chop them into pieces that are a bit smaller than the florets and use the whole head of cauliflower. Steam the cauliflower until very tender. Let the florets cool to warm room temperature.
- Crack the egg into a large bowl and beat it with a fork. Combine the cauliflower and egg. Stir together with a fork, mashing the steamed cauliflower with the fork as you mix it together with the egg. (This is why you want the cauliflower to be very tender; it needs to mash easily with a fork.)
- Sprinkle the mixture with flour and salt and stir, mashing a bit more as you do so, to combine thoroughly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat a generous layer of oil (about 1/4 inch deep) in a large frying pan or pot over medium-high heat to 350 F to 375 F. If you don't have a thermometer, there are a few ways to test the oil. The easiest one is to drop a bit of batter into the pan; it should sizzle immediately and turn lightly brown in about 2 to 3 minutes. If it doesn't sizzle immediately, the oil isn't hot enough; if it splatters violently or turns brown too quickly, the oil is too hot, and the fritters will burn without cooking properly.
- Put generous spoonfuls of batter into the pan and flatten a bit with the back of the spoon. You should be able to fit about four fritters in a large pan at a time. Cook until the fritters are browned on one side, flip, and cook until they are brown on the other side, about 3 minutes per side (stoves and pans are all different, so pay more attention to the fritters than the clock). Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 F oven.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|