Chaffles—which get their name from the word cheese and waffle—are absolutely necessary for those on the ketogenic diet. Chaffles are basically omelets made using only three simple ingredients, but they taste and feel incredibly similar to waffles. You can top with butter and keto-friendly syrup or you can use them as bread for your favorite sandwich. You can even take things to the next level and and create a jalapeno and bacon-studded chaffle.
The variations are endless and it’s one of the most useful keto recipes since it can be used for every meal. Whether you are keto or gluten-free, you will love this low-carb waffle alternative.
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Gather the ingredients.
Whisk the egg until it is completely blended. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
Heat a mini waffle iron on high heat. Sprinkle some of the leftover cheese on the bottom of the iron.
Pour half of the batter into the waffle iron and then top with another sprinkle of cheese if you wish.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and place on a plate or cooling rack to cool while you prepare the second half of the batter. The waffle will continue to crisp as it cools.
Serve with butter and keto-friendly syrup for a sweet breakfast. Or use it as bread on your favorite sandwich.
There are endless variations to this simple recipe! You can make them savory or sweet for any meal. You can also change up the type of cheese you use. Many shredded cheeses work well, but especially cheddar and mozzarella. You can also try Monterey Jack cheese or a blend of any of them.
- Pumpkin Chaffle: Add a tablespoon of pumpkin puree, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice, and 1/2 teaspoon erythritol to the batter. Top with chopped pecans and keto syrup.
- Chocolate Chip Chaffle: add 1 teaspoon erythritol, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoon mini chocolate chips.
- Jalapeno Popper Chaffle: Add a tablespoon of diced fresh jalapeno to the batter along with 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese. Use cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella cheese. Top with crumbled bacon and more diced jalapenos.
- Garlic Cheese Bread Chaffle: Add a tablespoon of parmesan cheese and 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning to the batter. Then melt a tablespoon of butter in a bowl with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Top the chaffles with the melted butter and an additional 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese each. Then broil them until the cheese melts. Serve with marinara sauce.
- Pizza Chaffle: Top the chaffle with a tablespoon of marinara sauce and another 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Pepperoni or other pizza toppings go on top before broiling until the cheese has melted.
- Taco Chaffles: Serve the chaffle topped with your favorite taco meat, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Other Savory Topping Ideas: Use them for “biscuits and gravy” topped with your favorite sausage gravy. or use the chaffles as breakfast sandwich or burger buns.
- You can use a regular waffle iron if you wish but the mini four-inch waffle iron makes the perfect size for sandwiches. If you’re using a regular iron, just add all of the batter to the iron at once instead of splitting it in half.