Chakra means wheel or vortex in the ancient Sanskrit language. It's used in energy medicine and energy anatomy to identify spinning vortexes that connect our bodies to the energy of the universe.
The 7 Chakras
Each chakra sends out great numbers of energy meridians called nadis, and each has a unique energetic signature and vibration. The most commonly-used chakras in the East are the 7 chakras of the body, as well as the 8th chakra — the energy body or electromagnetic field that surrounds us. Each of the energy centers has corresponding organs, color, element, spiritual theme, gemstones and foods. Although some parallels exist with the 5-element theory, the chakra system takes quite a different approach.
These juices don't contain random gatherings from the plant kingdom — rather, they're ingredients that can harmonize together to create a whole. They offer a rainbow spectrum of phytonutrients. You can make these fruit combinations into smoothies if you own a Vitamix, Blendtec or another high power blender, but otherwise, try juicing.
You don’t have to use all the ingredients together. Feel free to experiment with different pairings, amounts and combinations of flavors. We haven’t included specific quantities — that's up to you and your personal taste and preferences.
The Crown Chakra
- Mantra: I Am the I Am
- Element: Pure consciousness
- Color: Purple
- Location: Top of the head
- Spiritual connections: Pure consciousness, bliss and enlightenment
- Organs: Pineal gland, brain
The Third Eye Chakra
- Mantra: I See
- Element: Light
- Color: Indigo
- Location: Center of forehead
- Spiritual Connections: Intuition, mindfulness, insight, mysticism
- Organs: Pituitary gland, eyes, nervous system, sinus
Fruit and ingredient combinations include acai, pear, beet, blackberries, elderberries and eyebright tincture.
The Throat Chakra
- Mantra: I Speak
- Element: Sound
- Color: Blue
- Location: Throat
- Spiritual Connection: Communication, truth-telling, self-expression
- Organs: Thyroid, vocal cords, mouth, lungs
The Heart Chakra
- Mantra: I Love
- Element: Air
- Color: Green
- Location: Center of breastbone
- Spiritual Connection: Unconditional love, devotion, compassion, empathy
- Organs: Thymus, heart, circulatory system
The Solar Plexus Chakra
- Mantra: I Can
- Element: Fire
- Color: Yellow
- Location: Just below ribcage
- Spiritual Connection: Will, personal power, harnessing of dreams, sense of self and of self-worth
- Organs: Liver, gallbladder, spleen, stomach, pancreas, small intestine
The Sacral Chakra
- Mantra: I Create
- Element: Water
- Color: Orange
- Location: Just below navel
- Spiritual Connection: sexuality, pleasure, creative expression, passion
- Organs: Reproductive, lower bowel
The Root Chakra
- Mantra: I Have
- Element: Earth
- Color: Red
- Location: Base of spine, perineum
- Spiritual Connection: Survival, birth, safety, grounding, stability
- Organs: Kidneys, adrenals, spine, feet
This chakra is separated into vegetable and fruit versions. Use beets, red carrots, tomato, lime, flax seed oil, rosemary or sea salt for the vegetable version. The fruit version can include pomegranate, strawberry, cherries, watermelon, cactus pear, fennel, ginger or lime.
A Final Tip
Intensely fruity combinations should generally be consumed as smoothies. The amount of naturally-occurring sugar in fruits multiplies exponentially in juice and is not beneficial to the heart.