There is nothing better than a warm chocolate beverage to warm you up on a chilly morning. This Mexican favorite is flavored with anise and sweetened with piloncillo.
- 2 cups water (warm)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup masa harina (or 1/3 cup nixtamal)
- 1 disk Mexican chocolate (chopped)
- 3 cones piloncillo (1 ounce each; chopped)
- Optional: 1 pinch of ground anise seed
- In a large pot, whisk masa harina into the warm water until thoroughly combined.
- Add milk, chocolate, piloncillo and anise.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk with a molinillo (a special tool to whip the drink) until chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|