|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 27g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||73%|
|Total Carbohydrate 46g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A little spicy mustard adds zing to the cheese sauce for this delicious Cheddar cabbage gratin style casserole. Parmesan cheese may be added to the buttered bread crumb topping for more taste and texture.
Serve this flavorful cabbage casserole as part of a family meal, or serve with a holiday dinner.
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic (halved)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard (or Dijon)
- 8 ounces white Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Topping:
- Optional: 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (soft)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Steam the cabbage until just tender. Drain well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Saute the garlic until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove garlic and discard. Add the flour to the flavored butter and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the milk and mustard. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the Cheddar cheese and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine the sauce with the drained cabbage and pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Combine the soft bread crumbs with 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter and toss until well blended. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
You Might Also Like