These cheese twists are similar to cheese straws and very easy to prepare. Use share Cheddar in these delicious cheese twists, and add a generous dash of ground cayenne pepper.
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (ground)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/2 cup cheese (shredded sharp Cheddar)
- 1/3 cup water (cold)
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, and cayenne pepper into a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter or margarine and cheese with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle cold water over mixture and mix lightly with a fork until mixture holds together and leaves the side of the bowl.
- Roll out to a rectangle about 12x10 inches on a lightly floured board. Divide in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into strips 1/2-inch wide. Lift strips carefully and twist gently.
- Place twists 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425 F (220 C/Gas Mark 7) for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Carefully transfer cheese twists to wire racks to cool.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|