This cheese and sausage quiche contains eggs, cooked sausage, and two varieties of cheese. Not only is are eggs used in the filling mixture, there are sliced hard-boiled eggs layered in the quiche. You get a double dose of protein from the eggs along with sausage and cheese for flavor and texture.
Feel free to use different cheeses if you'd like. Monterey Jack cheese or Gruyere are good options or use a cheddar jack blend. Vegetables can be added to the quiche as well. Sauté some finely chopped onions or shallots, sliced mushrooms, or diced bell pepper.
Use spicy or mild pork sausage or Italian sausage in this quiche, or make it with turkey sausage.
- 1 prepared pie shell (9-inch)
- 8 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the pie shell with a sheet of foil and fill at least 3/4 full with pie weights or dry beans. Bake the pie shell in the preheated oven for 7 minutes. Remove it to a rack and cool.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking up and turning until the meat is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Arrange the sliced hard-cooked eggs in the bottom of the cooled crust; top with the drained browned sausage and shredded cheeses.
- In a bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over sausage and cheese mixture.
- Bake the quiche in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to a rack and let stand for 8 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Cook the hard-boiled eggs earlier in the day or the day before for easy preparation.