You can freeze these little cheese crackers and reheat them in the toaster oven until they start to sizzle. They're a great appetizer too. You can make a bunch and freeze them. Then you can reheat them in a toaster oven until they are hot and crisp.
You can vary the cheese you use. Use a combination of Colby and Monterey Jack, or try Havarti or Swiss in place of the cheddar cheese. Add some whole wheat flour in place of some of the all-purpose flour, or add some finely chopped nuts. This recipe can be varied!
Serve these little crackers with soup or as an after-school snack. They are better for you than purchased crackers, without all of the artificial ingredients and colorings almost all purchased crackers are made with.
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tablespoon chives (dried)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Mix together with a spoon until well blended.
- Add the flour, salt, and chives to the butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Form the dough into 3/4" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten the balls using the bottom of a drinking glass or with the tines of a fork until it's about 1/4' thick.
- Prick each cracker several times with a fork. Sprinkle with a little salt, if desired.
- Bake the crackers at 350 F for 12 to 17 minutes until they are very lightly browned around the edges. Remove the crackers to a wire rack and cool.
- These reheat very well in a toaster oven if you like your crackers served warm. Just place on a piece of foil in the oven and heat until they are sizzling.
- To freeze, place on cookie sheet until frozen solid. Then place in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags, label, and freeze for 3 to 4 months. Thaw at room temperature, then reheat in toaster oven or oven until hot and crisp. Or reheat straight from the freezer in the toaster oven!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|