This wonderful recipe is easy to make but elegant enough to serve to company. You can make it ahead of time too. Stuff the chicken and put it in the baking dish. Mix the tomato sauce mixture just before you want to bake the chicken, though, or the cornstarch will break down in the acidic tomato mixture.
You can substitute any kind of cheese you'd like for the feta cheese in this recipe, even a strong-flavored cheese such as sharp cheddar.
Make sure that you always cook chicken to 165°F as tested with a reliable meat thermometer for food safety reasons. Make sure that the thermometer is not inserted into the stuffing, though, or the reading will not be accurate.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14 -ounce can diced tomatoes (with roasted garlic, undrained)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut a 3-inch slit into the thick side of each chicken breast to form a pocket, being careful to not cut completely through the flesh to the other side.
- Then, in a small bowl, combine the cheese, parsley, oregano, and olive oil and mix gently. Spoon 1/4 of the filling into the pocket you made in each chicken breast. Place the chicken in an ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
- In another small bowl, mix the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cornstarch and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Sprinkle the chicken with any leftover feta cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the chicken for 35 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165°F. Serve the chicken and sauce with spaghetti, if you like.
Try serving this chicken dish with couscous. You can even combine 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce with water and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and added that mixture to hot couscous.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||82 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|