This recipe for cheese-stuffed sweet bell peppers is filled with herbed cheese and makes a delicious meatless main course or side dish. Eastern Europeans across the board love peppers of all types. From banana peppers to Hungarian wax peppers to sweet bell peppers, they are represented in dishes in every kitchen. Multicolored peppers look pretty on the plate, but green peppers will do. And, if you care for a little zip, use a hotter pepper. They can be served as is or slathered with a tomato sauce as is done in Croatia.
- 4 large bell peppers (sweet, seeded, pith removed and tops reserved)
- 1 pound cheese (herbed)
- 1/2 cup cheese (Parmesan or Romano, grated)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Note: Buying herbed cheese can be a little expensive, so an alternative is to make your own using the filling from this Hungarian Cheese-Stuffed Wax Peppers Recipe.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together herbed cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper until light and fluffy.
- Line a baking pan with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Fill the peppers and replace reserved tops. Place in prepared baking pan, brush lightly with oil and bake 45 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese has expanded and is golden. These peppers reheat well and can be frozen after baking and cooling.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|