A simple crescent roll crust and flavorful ground beef filling make this the perfect main dish to prepare for a busy day meal.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped mushrooms (drained)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 oz) packages crescent rolls
- 3 large eggs (divided)
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 tablespoon water
- Optional: sliced tomatoes
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef and onion until beef is browned. Drain off excess fat; stir in tomato sauce, drained mushrooms, parsley, salt, oregano, and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Unroll one package of crescent rolls; separate into triangles. Place in a lightly buttered 9-inch pie pan, pressing to seal perforations and form a pie shell.
- Separate one of the eggs; set egg yolk aside. Beat together the 2 eggs and 1 egg white; Pour half beaten egg over pie shell. Spoon meat mixture into pie shell and then arrange the cheese slices over top. Pour remaining beaten egg mixture over cheese.
- Mix reserved egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water. Brush a little over the pastry edges.
- Unroll the second package of crescent rolls. Press together to form a rectangle about 12 x 6 inches. Press perforations together to seal. Roll out to a 12-inch square; place over filling. Trim and seal; crimp edges. Cut a few small slits in the top of the crust to vent then brush with remaining egg yolk mixture.
- Cover pastry edge loosely with a strip of foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Garnish with sliced tomatoes, if desired
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|