This hearty cheeseburger soup is perfect as a dinner entree with rolls and a salad or served as a cup with half a sandwich for a satisfying lunch. You'll avoid the fast food drive-thru, but get the nostalgic taste with this recipe as a healthier alternative to cheeseburger and fries. This soup appeals to all ages and can be doubled or tripled for large family get-togethers as an alternative to other stock pot dishes such as chili or pasta. Your soup will be loaded with lean ground beef, cheese, and chopped vegetables and this recipe uses very little oil for a cleaner taste that's filling on a cold night or a rainy day.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 to 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (yellow or sweet, chopped)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup carrots (julienned)
- 3 medium potatoes (yellow or red, peeled, cubed, about 3 to 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (or dried herb seasoning blend)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half (or milk)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (sharp; shredded or cut into cubes)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash black pepper (or to taste)
- Garnish: cooked bacon
- Brown ground beef, onion, and celery in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes or until the onion and celery are translucent; adding olive oil as necessary for ease during sautéing.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and cook for an additional minute. Add the chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, parsley, and basil or herb seasoning blend.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are fork tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in flour until smooth and cooked, about 2 minutes. Slowly stir in the half-and-half or milk. Then stir in the cheese.
- Continue cooking the milk mixture, stirring, until cheese is melted and the mixture is thick and begins to bubble.
- Add the milk mixture to the soup mixture, stirring until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook the mixture an additional 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with cooked crumbled bacon, parsley, croutons or shredded cheese if desired.
- Serve warm with biscuits or crusty rolls.
Hearty Beef Soup Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|