This chicken spaghetti is brimming with flavor. Three kinds of condensed soup are used in this recipe, but you can use about 3 cups of white sauce and a can of diced tomatoes if you prefer homemade over processed food.
Feel free to add your own personal touch. You might use roasted red peppers or minced red bell peppers instead of the pimientos or add some cheese or sauteed mushrooms to the casserole. The tomato soup can also be replaced with diced canned tomatoes or tomatoes with chopped green chile peppers.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 to 5 pounds, cut up
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into 2-inch lengths
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small jar pimiento, chopped
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces
- Velveeta cheese, shredded or cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook a chicken in salted water until tender. Remove chicken and strain broth.
- While the chicken cools, cook the spaghetti in the remaining broth following the package directions.
- Drain the spaghetti and toss with olive oil.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and chop.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spaghetti, onion, celery, pimiento, condensed soups, and cheese. Add cut up chicken and stir well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place in the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Tips and Variations
Replace the Velveeta cheese with mild or sharp shredded cheddar cheese. Save 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese for topping the casserole about 10 minutes before it comes out of the oven.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||99 g|
|Saturated Fat||41 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|