These cheesy and saucy meatball bombs are exploding with Italian flavor. Biscuits stuffed with hearty meatballs, marinara sauce, and shredded mozzarella are topped with the most decadent garlic butter. Perfect for any party appetizer or even for a light weeknight meal, this recipe is like a meatball sub, but without all the mess!
Below we provide a delicious Italian meatball recipe, but you can also use any frozen pre-made meatball (just make sure to thaw them in the refrigerator before using them for this recipe) or your own favorite meatball recipe. It's even a great way to use up leftover meatballs!
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 onion (finely minced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 sweet Italian sausage (casing removed)
- Bomb Dough and Toppings:
- 2 (12 oz) cans Pillsbury Southern Homestyle refrigerated biscuits (do not use the flaky kind)
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (or other tomato sauce of your choice)
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 5 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: parsley and parmesan cheese
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To prepare the meatballs, combine the parsley, parmesan cheese, egg, breadcrumbs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk them together until completely combined. Gently fold in the onion, garlic, ground beef, and sausage until completely combined.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop the meatball mixture into balls, roll, and place them on the parchment paper.
Bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until completely cooked.
Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Roll out each biscuit into about a 4-inch circle. Place a meatball in the center and top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the marinara sauce and some of the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Seal the dough closed by pulling the edges together and pinching them closed. Place the meatball seam side down onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with the olive oil and repeat with the remaining meatballs.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the dough is firm and golden brown.
While they are baking, melt the butter in the microwave with the minced garlic. Whisk in the chopped parsley and salt after the butter has melted.
Remove the meatball bombs from the oven and brush them with the butter mixture.
Serve with extra marinara sauce, if desired, and enjoy!