This cherry cobbler is a homemade cobbler made with canned cherries. To cut time and effort, feel free to use two cans of cherry pie filling.
Thickened canned cherries make up the filling for this tasty cobbler. You can bypass the cooked cherry filling with two 20-ounce cans of cherry pie filling.
The cake topping will take a little longer to bake if you use pie filling or if the homemade filling is completely cooled when you put it in the oven.
- 2 (16 oz) cans sour red cherries (in juice or water; 32 ounces total)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Optional: red food coloring, a few drops
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel (grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Drain the cherries; reserve 1 cup of the liquid. In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, 3/4 cup sugar, food coloring (if used), and reserved liquid. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add butter, lemon peel, almond extract, and drained cherries. Stir mixture gently until the butter has melted.
- Pour fruit mixture into the prepared baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, shortening, and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add the egg and beat for 1 minute longer.
- Spoon the batter over the hot fruit in the baking dish.
- Bake the cherry cobbler in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until cake topping springs back when pressed gently with a finger. If the filling is quite cool (or if you use pie filling) when you add the batter, it will take longer for the cake topping to bake.
- Serve the cherry cobbler warm or at room temperature with whipped topping or ice cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|