|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 12|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||81%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our rich and creamy cheesecake is made with a graham cracker pie crust, a velvety creamy filling, and an easy cherry pie topping. Beautiful and festive, this cheesecake is great for a family celebratory meal, baby shower, or afternoon tea or coffee break. Use blueberries or strawberries for the topping, and decorate with fresh fruit, nuts, and/or whipped cream.
Cheesecake is a beloved American treat, and this version will be ready in one hour. So if you need a quick and decadent recipe to treat your guests, this is an easy start if you've never made cheesecake. Check our variations below for more ideas on how to add other flavors or decorations.
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 15 graham crackers)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the Filling:
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 16 ounces cream cheese (softened and cut into pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the Topping:
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- Optional: Whipped cream
Prepare the Crust
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, and 6 tablespoons of melted butter until well mixed. Alternatively place the whole graham crackers, butter, and sugar into a food processor and mix until combined.
Press the crumbs into a 9-inch pie pan.
Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 6 minutes.
Remove to a rack and cool the crust completely before filling.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325 F.
Prepare the Filling
In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, vanilla, and sour cream with the help of an electric mixer.
Gradually add the softened pieces of cream cheese, beating well.
Beat in the melted butter.
Pour the cheese filling mixture into the prepared and cooled graham cracker crust.
Bake at 325 F for 35 minutes, or until the filling is set in the center. As it cools, the filling will firm up.
Cool for at least 40 minutes before topping with the cherry filling. Place in the fridge to chill thoroughly before serving.
Garnish with whipped cream, if using.
If you want to try something innovative for your cheesecake, here are three suggestions:
- Pretzel crust: Combine 2 cups of finely crushed small pretzels or pretzel sticks with 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar and 3/4 cup of melted butter or margarine. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a lightly buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before pouring your filling.
- Cookie crust: Combine 1 1/2 cups of finely crushed vanilla wafers or similar cookie crumbs with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 5 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix well and press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack before pouring your filling.
- Chocolate Crust: Remove the cream of 25 chocolate sandwich cookies and process the cookies with 4 tablespoons of butter. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a lightly buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes.
If you want to add other decorations to your cheesecake for a more festive look, use one of our suggestions:
- Once the topping is on the cheesecake, make rosettes of whipped cream and place a maraschino cherry on each rosette. If using blueberry filling place a blueberry and a mint leaf on each rosette, and if using strawberry filling place half of a strawberry and a mint leaf on each rosette.
- If using the chocolate crust, skip the filling, decorate the top with whipped cream rosettes, and add chocolate chips on each rosette. Alternatively, add 1/2 cup of chocolate shavings onto the cheesecake or drizzle the whipped cream with chocolate sauce.
- If you don't want to use fresh fruits, place a whole peeled almond on each rosette, or whole pistachios to add some color.