Baking doesn't get much easier than a "dump cake." This super simple dessert is made with just four simple ingredients: a box of angel food cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, a dash of almond extract, and a handful of sliced almonds. You literally "dump" all the ingredients in an ungreased pan and stir everything together right there in it until combined. No extra dirty dishes means virtually no cleanup!
The result is a cherry and almond-flavored sponge cake that can be cut into squares and served on its own or topped with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. When you're looking for a fast and easy sweet treat, this is sure to do the trick.
Other versions of dump cakes are more of a cross between a cake and a cobbler. Fruit is dumped into a baking pan, topped with cake mix and butter, and then baked. They're also fantastically delicious and so easy.
- 1 (16-ounce) box angel food cake mix
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Optional: 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Pour the angel food cake mix, cherry pie filling, and almond extract into an ungreased 9 x 130-inch pan.
- Whenever baking an angel food cake or using an angel food cake mix, it is important not to grease the pan. Even a trace of any fat or grease in the baking pan will cause the cake to not rise properly. What gives angel food cakes their height and delicate, fluffy texture is how the batter slowly climbs up the sides of the pan as it bakes and sticks to stay put. This is also true in dump cakes made with angel food cake mixes.
Stir to combine all the ingredients right there in the pan. No need to dirty any additional dishes.
Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
Bake for 28 to 30 minutes.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Cut into squares and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- Almond extract adds a sweet, nutty flavor and goes perfectly with the cherry. If you don't have almond extract, substitute vanilla extract or omit altogether.
The key to success with a dump cake is the use of angel food cake mix and the ratio of ingredients. You can use the basic formula in this recipe as a jumping-off point. Feel free to experiment with other flavor combinations to create new dump cake recipes.
- Apple pie filling with vanilla extract and walnuts
- Blueberry pie filling with lemon extract and pecans
- Peach pie filling and almonds