This cherry upside-down cake is an attractive and delicious cake, and it's surprisingly easy to prepare and bake. A can of cherry pie filling is used for the fruit topping, so all you have to do is mix the batter and bake.
When you choose pie filling, you'll see regular and "premium." The premium cherry pie filling is the best choice because it contains 30% more fruit.
- 1 (20 oz) can cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (6 3/4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas Mark 4).
- Generously butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Spread the cherry pie filling over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together for about 3 to 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the dry mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and ending with the flour mixture. Blend thoroughly after each addition.
- Spoon the cake batter over the cherry pie filling; gently spread to cover.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes. Loosen sides and carefully invert it onto a serving plate or cake server.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|