These oatmeal molasses cookies are wonderfully chewy, and the cinnamon and ginger add just the right amount of spice.
If you love oatmeal cookies for their chewiness and molasses cookies for their flavor, this recipe is an excellent choice. Add some chopped walnuts or pecans for extra texture.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces)
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cream the sugar and shortening together in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla, egg, and molasses; beat until well blended.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices in another bowl; blend well.
- Add the dry mixture to the first mixture; mix well. Fold in the oatmeal.
- Shape the cookie dough into 1-inch balls or drop the dough from a small cookie scoop onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool the cookies completely and store in a tightly covered container or food storage bag for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Add about 1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans or walnuts to the cookies.
More Molasses Cookie Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|