There is something so nostalgic about pasta dishes in general, but lasagna specifically holds a special place in the hearts of many. For when you're looking to switch up your lasagna routine, here is a great alternative to the traditional. This recipe takes the well-known elements of Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and morphs them into a delicious lasagna.
Enjoy it as a weeknight meal that comes together in less than an hour, or prepare the dish ahead of time and freeze it for baking later. Just be sure to assemble the lasagna in a disposable aluminium baking dish, cover the assembled lasagna dish tightly with foil, and store inside a large freezer bag in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge when ready to eat and bake according to recipe instructions!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, cut into strips and cooked
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or deli ham, cut into strips and cooked
- 9 ounces oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 to 4 basil leaves, for garnish
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat add butter, garlic, and onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
Add the spinach and 1 tablespoon of water and stir until it wilts about 1 minute.
Add milk, Parmesan, ricotta, and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste and stir until incorporated.
Raise heat to high and heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a slight simmer and begins to thicken, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chicken.
In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish add a large spoonful of the chicken Alfredo mixture. Layer with noodles, Alfredo mixture, sliced pancetta and prosciutto, then one-third of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 35 to 35 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned and bubbling.
Top with fresh basil and serve hot!