Some people prefer these healthy chicken and black bean burritos to be rather spicy and some prefer them to be more on the mild side. You can make these burritos as spicy as you wish simply by choosing mild, medium, or hot salsa.
There are a few tips to making these burritos come together even faster. If you have it in your fridge, use leftover rice and cooked chicken breast to make this meal come together even faster. It's one of my favorite things to make when I have them common leftovers in my fridge.
Another tip for making this recipe is if you are using leftover rice that has already been cooked, omit the water since the rice won't be absorbing additional water. Simply add the rice at the same time it is called for in the recipe, and choose not to add extra cooking liquid.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced fine)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast (cooked, chopped)
- 1 can/15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup rice (instant, uncooked)
- 1 can/14 1/2 ounces tomatoes (diced)
- 3/4 cup salsa (divided)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (part skim, grated)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Garnish: fat-free sour cream
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and green bell pepper, and cook five minutes, or until vegetables are tender and become aromatic.
- Next, add the cooked chicken breast, the black beans, rice, tomatoes, 1/2 cup of salsa, and the next three ingredients, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the entire mixture for 10 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and nice and tender.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the cheese and cilantro. Stir gently until the cheese is melted.
- To assemble the burritos, spoon about 1/2 cup of the mixture into each of the tortillas, and roll the tortillas tightly. Place the burritos in a 9x13-inch baking dish, and top them with the remaining salsa.
- Put the burritos in the oven, and bake them at 375°F for 15 minutes, or until they become slightly crisp. Remove the burritos from the oven, and allow them to cool for 3-5 minutes. Then, top the burritos with sour cream.