|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 34g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||82%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a flavorful macaroni, cheese, and chicken combination. If you're short on time, use a rotisserie chicken to make this tasty casserole.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or small shells
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded or cut in small pieces
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, optional
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water as package directs. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter; add flour. Cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended and cooked, about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add pepper, to taste, along with parsley, if using. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Add the chicken and vegetables; cook for about 1 minute longer.
Combine the sauce with cooked and drained macaroni; pour into a 2-quart casserole.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs; sprinkle over the casserole..
Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.