This is a flavorful macaroni, cheese, and chicken combination. If you're short on time, use a rotisserie chicken to make this tasty casserole.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or small shells
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded or cut in small pieces
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, optional
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water as package directs. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter; add flour. Cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended and cooked, about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add pepper, to taste, along with parsley, if using. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the chicken and vegetables; cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Combine the sauce with cooked and drained macaroni; pour into a 2-quart casserole.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs; sprinkle over the casserole..
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|