|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This flavorful casserole is perfect for a one-dish meal or potluck dinner.
Use frozen peas in this dish as directed or make it your way with your favorite vegetables. Peas and carrots will add extra color, or add steamed green beans or chopped broccoli to the casserole.
Related: 30 Easy Chicken and Pasta Recipes
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 pound chicken tenders (or boneless chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (fresh grated)
- 1 jar/2 ounces pimiento (diced)
- 1 cup peas (cooked from frozen)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup bread crumbs (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (sweet)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
Cook pasta following package directions. Drain pasta and rinse.
Wash chicken and pat dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut into bite-size pieces.
Add olive oil and butter to a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, cook the chicken, stirring, until browned. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the skillet. Cook onion and garlic for 1 minute. Stir in the flour until well blended. Add chicken broth and milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Add the Parmesan cheese, pimiento, and peas. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Stir the chicken and drained pasta into the mixture.
Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly.
Similar Casserole Recipes