|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 42g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||101%|
|Total Carbohydrate 53g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This potluck pasta wheel casserole is filled with flavor, with chicken, ham, mushrooms, and two kinds of cheese. Serve with a simple green salad or sliced fresh tomatoes and biscuits or rolls.
A thickened cheese sauce brings the chicken and ham together in this tasty pasta casserole.
- 8 ounces pasta, macaroni, mini penne, mini wagon wheels, etc.
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 pound chicken boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders, cut in small chunks
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 to 8 ounces diced ham
- 1 small jar (2 ounces) pimiento, drained
- 1 bunch (6 to 8) green onions, sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces American cheese, shreds or diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Heat oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
Cook pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the chicken, Creole seasoning, mushrooms, and ham. Cook, stirring, until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are tender.
Add the pimiento, green onions, and parsley and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
Stir in flour until well blended. Add chicken broth and milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Add the Cheddar and American cheeses, along with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir to blend. Combine with the drained pasta and spoon into the prepared baking dish.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter and toss with the bread crumbs; sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6.