This potluck pasta wheel casserole is filled with flavor, with chicken, ham, mushrooms, and two kinds of cheese. Serve with a simple green salad or sliced fresh tomatoes and biscuits or rolls.
A thickened cheese sauce brings the chicken and ham together in this tasty pasta casserole.
- 8 ounces pasta, macaroni, mini penne, mini wagon wheels, etc.
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 pound chicken boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders, cut in small chunks
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 to 8 ounces diced ham
- 1 small jar (2 ounces) pimiento, drained
- 1 bunch (6 to 8) green onions, sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces American cheese, shreds or diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the chicken, Creole seasoning, mushrooms, and ham. Cook, stirring, until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are tender.
- Add the pimiento, green onions, and parsley and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in flour until well blended. Add chicken broth and milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the Cheddar and American cheeses, along with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir to blend. Combine with the drained pasta and spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter and toss with the bread crumbs; sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||42 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|