This chicken and rice casserole gets its great flavor from the onion soup mix, while the condensed cream of mushroom soup brings the ingredients together. Serve this casserole with dinner rolls or biscuits and sliced fresh tomatoes, broccoli salad, or a simple tossed green salad for a satisfying meal.
Toasted slivered almonds make a wonderful, crunchy garnish for the casserole.
- 1 cup white rice (long-grain, uncooked)
- 1 can/10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 4 chicken breast halves (boneless, skinless)
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: toasted slivered almonds
Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Heat the oven to 375 F.
Put the uncooked rice in the baking dish. Combine the condensed soup, water, and onion soup mix; pour over the rice and stir to blend ingredients.
Place the chicken in the rice mixture and sprinkle lightly with pepper.
Cover tightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
Remove the foil and top with the toasted almonds, if desired. To toast almonds for garnish, spread them out in a dry skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. When they start to brown and smell toasty, remove them to a plate to cool.
- Replace the condensed cream of mushroom soup with cream of celery or cream of chicken soup.
- Add sauteed sliced mushrooms to the rice mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup of sliced green onions to the rice mixture.