This rice and chicken bake is packed with flavor, and it's easy to prepare. Use convenient cooked chicken cubes for an even easier meal.
The raisins add an exotic element with the curry powder but feel free to leave them out.
- 1 cup rice (long-grain)
- 4 chicken breast halves (boneless, without skin)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (red or green or both, chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 can/14 1/2 ounces tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons almonds (blanched sliced or slivered)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried leaf, crumbled)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Garnish: sliced or slivered almonds
Heat oven to 375°.
Cook rice with water as package directs, just until tender.
Heat the butter in a large skillet; brown chicken on both sides; remove to a 2-quart casserole.
Pour off excess butter and add the bell pepper, garlic, onions, celery, tomatoes, raisins, almonds, and seasonings. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
Spoon the rice over the chicken then pour the sauce over all. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
Garnish with almonds, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||57 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|