- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, with about 2 inches of green, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash garlic powder, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 to 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 3/4 cup finely shredded natural Parmesan cheese, about 3 ounces
- Grease a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole. Heat oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle the well-drained spinach over the bottom of the casserole; set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry the diced bacon until just crisp. With a slotted spoon transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium-low heat. Add the onions, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and basil; cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the flour until well incorporated. Add the chicken broth and cream, stirring until well blended. Stir in the chicken and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly.
- Sprinkle the drained bacon over the spinach, then pour the hot chicken mixture over all.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is lightly browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||56 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|