A very nutritious, Chinese chicken soup recipe made with fresh spinach leaves. This style of soup is especially popular in Eastern Chinese Cuisine.
- 1 6-ounce skinless, boneless, chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, or as needed
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock, or 4 cups storebought chicken broth mixed with 1 cup water
- 1 Slice ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and/or pepper, to taste
- Wash the chicken breast, pat dry, and cut into thin strips approximately 2 inches long and 1/8-inch thick. In a medium bowl, add the rice wine, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a few drops of sesame oil to chicken pieces. Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the spinach leaves. Wash the spinach leaves and cut off the stems. Blanch the leaves in a large pot of boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes, or until the leaves turn a bright green. Plunge the blanched leaves briefly in cold water first to stop the cooking process, and then drain thoroughly.
- Bring the chicken stock or chicken broth and water to a boil. Stir in the soy sauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
- Add the chicken strips. Bring back to a boil and cook until the chicken turns white and is cooked through. Add the ginger and spinach leaves and bring back to a boil. Stir in the soy sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|