|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 135g||173%|
|Saturated Fat 36g||182%|
|Total Carbohydrate 111g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||44%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We all love when we can find a way to replicate a favorite menu item at home. This sandwich is inspired by one of the most popular items on the menu at Longhorn Steakhouse, a chicken and avocado flatbread that is full of flavor but also very kid-friendly. The grilled folded flatbread is stuffed with tomatoes, avocado spread, and Jack cheese, and an awesome red chili ranch dressing.
The recipe for the sauce makes a lot more than you'll need for this sandwich, but you'll probably be making more than one of these (and you'll want to put the sauce on all kinds of meats and sandwiches, and use it for a dip for vegetables—in short, you'll be happy to have the extra!).
- For the Flatbread:
- 1 slice flatbread (can purchase at your local grocer in the bread aisle or bakery department)
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 3 ounces chicken breast (grilled boneless, sliced; about half a chicken breast)
- 2 slices tomato (fresh, ripe)
- 3 ounces Colby Jack cheese (shredded)
- For the Red Chili Ranch Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (well-shaken)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- 6 tablespoons red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion (finely chopped)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (fine sea salt, plus additional to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh flat-leaf, finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dill (fresh, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To make the flatbread, mash the avocado with a fork in a small bowl and spread onto the flatbread.
Top with slices of fresh chicken, tomato, and shredded cheese.
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk and red chili sauce and whisk together.
Mash the garlic and onion and sea salt on a cutting board with the back of a spoon to create a paste. Add the garlic-onion paste and dry mustard to the buttermilk mixture and whisk well to combine. Add the chives, parsley, dill and freshly ground black pepper and whisk well to combine.
At point you can drizzle some of the dressing (a tablespoon or two) over the sandwich, fold the sandwich in half and grill the sandwich in a panini machine, or you can heat a cast iron or grill pan over medium-high heat place the open sandwich (with no dressing) in the pan, heat the bottom of the bread, then transfer it to under a preheated broiler and allow the cheese to melt, the drizzle on the dressing and fold the sandwich in half. Serve warm.