|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 43g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A lightly flavored chicken broth with chunks of avocado, tomato and onion, Chicken Avocado Soup is the perfect springtime or summer entree. In Mexico, chicken soups such as this one are eaten year-round in small portions as a first course or in large bowls as the main dish of a meal, with fresh lime juice squeezed into the broth right before eating. The shredded chicken adds a hearty texture to this otherwise very light soup that is easily made in one pot.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 6 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought, good quality)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (packed)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium avocados
- Optional: lime halves
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic for 1 minute.
Carefully add the broth, oregano, and the chicken.
Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer for 1 hour.
Remove the chicken from the pot and use two forks to shred it.
Return the shredded chicken back to the pot. Add the salt.
Chop the cilantro, tomato, and avocado and add to soup. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve your delicious chicken avocado soup with lime halves, if you like, so that each diner can squeeze juice to taste into their portions.
- Don’t hesitate to include other chopped vegetables in your soup, adding them near the end of cooking time. Try fresh or frozen peas, corn kernels, or chopped carrots, celery (leaves and stems), potatoes, leeks, or any variety of summer or winter squash.
- Add a spoonful of cooked rice or pasta to each bowl of soup. (This is a one good use for those leftover items.)
- Boil 2 or 3 eggs. Peel and chop them, then add a little egg to each bowl when serving.
- Garnish your soup with chopped chives or green onion- or sprinkle a small amount of diced fresh jalapeno or serrano pepper over each portion, if you prefer a spicy soup.