This easy chicken casserole is made with black beans, corn, salsa, and cheese. Use cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend of cheeses as a topping for the chicken, or try a taco-seasoned cheese. Use your favorite tomato salsa or try a combination of tomato salsa and salsa verde.
This is a quick and easy chicken bake; serve with rice for a hearty and healthy everyday family meal.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper or a spicy seasoning blend
- 1 can / 16 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can / 12 to 15 ounces whole kernel corn (drained)
- 2 cups chunky salsa (divided)
- 1 can / 4 ounces chopped mild green chile peppers (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups / 6 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend or a mixture of cheddar and Colby cheeses
Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle the chicken all over with salt and pepper or a spicy chicken seasoning blend.
Combine the drained beans, corn, 1 cup of the salsa, green chili peppers, and half of the cilantro. Put the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Arrange chicken over the bean and corn mixture, then spoon the remaining salsa over the chicken. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and top evenly with the cheese.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Poultry must be cooked to a minimum of 165 F. If in doubt, use a reliable food thermometer.