To make it, simply sauté the chicken breasts, then sauté and whirl paprika, onions, and pepper to make a boldly flavored sauce. The paprika is a ground spice made from the red air-dried fruits of the bell pepper. Though linked to Hungarian cuisine, it was brought to Spain in the 16th century where it is known as pimentón.
Since this dish keeps well, make it ahead for a dinner party or a casual celebration, your guests will thank you. In about 40 minutes, you have a colorful, very Spanish main course. Many people serve this over pasta or rice. To make this recipe into a tapa, cut the chicken breasts into small pieces and serve with the paprika sauce atop baguette slices.
- 2 pounds (1kg) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup (114 gr) unbleached white flour
- 3 ounces (80 ml) Spanish virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 16 ounces (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1 long green pepper (sweet)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Spanish virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Spanish sweet paprika
- Salt to taste
- This chicken recipe makes approximately eight servings as a tapa or four servings as a first course.
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat them dry. Cut the chicken breasts in half. Pour flour into a paper or plastic bag and add 1 tsp. of salt. Place several pieces of chicken into the bag and shake it to coat them. Repeat until all pieces of chicken are coated in flour.
- Pour approximately 1/4-inch of olive oil into a large frying pan and heat on medium. Brown the chicken on both sides, then set them aside for later.
- Finely chop the onion. Remove the stem, seeds, and membrane, then finely chop green pepper. Pour the olive oil into a medium frying pan and sauté vegetables on low heat until onions are translucent and peppers are soft. In the same frying pan, raise heat to medium and add flour. Fry flour, stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken broth while continuing to stir until sauce thickens. If necessary, add more flour to thicken. Add paprika and salt and continue to stir.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and process with a stick blender until sauce is smooth. Alternately, whirl in food processor.
- Return chicken breasts to the frying pan and pour the sauce over chicken. Simmer until chicken is fully cooked, about five to seven minutes. Serve with fried potatoes, pasta or rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|