The flavors of ginger and passionfruit make a sweet-savory sauce for tender chicken breasts in this unusual and tasty recipe. The chicken is a poached broth of ginger and passion fruit juice, making it juicy and full of flavor. Then the cooking liquid is reduced with brown sugar, apple cider, and more passionfruit juice, for a tangy sauce to pour over the cooked chicken.
Frozen passion fruit pulp can be found at supermarkets and Latin food markets, or you can order it online.
- 4 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups passion fruit pulp (divided)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and the ginger, and cook on medium heat for a few minutes, stirring, until shallot and ginger are softened and fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the passionfruit pulp, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Add the chicken breasts in a single layer. Add more chicken broth if necessary to ensure that the chicken breasts are covered with liquid.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a low simmer. Cover and cook the chicken breasts for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until just cooked through (slice into one of the breasts to check for doneness).
- Remove the chicken breasts to an oven proof pan, cover with foil, and keep them warm in a 200 degree (F) oven while preparing the sauce.
- Pour off all but 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the sauté pan. Add the remaining 1 cup of passionfruit juice, the apple cider, the vinegar, the soy sauce, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Whisk in the corn starch.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, whisking constantly, and cook until it the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce over chicken breasts and serve. Serve with coconut rice if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|