|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 5 to 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||57%|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Try this tasty chicken noodle casserole. It's made with chopped vegetables, sliced mushrooms, and a little white wine, baked with herb and butter breadcrumbs on top.
- 4 ounces medium noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 to 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon herb seasoning mixture or dried leaf thyme
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 4 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup dry white wine - or substitute more chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons green onions or freshly chopped parsley, optional
Cook noodles in boiling salted water just until tender. Drain and set aside.
Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; add mushrooms, onion, celery, and grated carrot.
Cook until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes; stir flour into the pan juices until smooth; add salt, pepper, and thyme. Gradually add milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
Add chicken, noodles, and wine; simmer for 1 minute.
Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Combine the fine breadcrumbs with butter then toss with green onions or parsley if desired. Sprinkle buttered breadcrumb mixture over the chicken noodle casserole.
Bake at 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.